As the number of nodes and the size of pipelines grow, the level of complexity in a Project also increases. To handle these intricate Projects effectively, you can organize all the nodes into groups within the Workbench.
Group Input and Output#
To gain a clearer understanding of the content within a group, you can examine the input and output associated with it.
Assuming the following group:
that contains four transformations in a row you can view the input 'LINEITEM' that leads to the node 'FILTER 2' in the 'GROUP 2':
The output comes from the 'Group 2' node 'PIVOT 1' and leads to the deployed node 'PIVOT_1' which is not part of the group:
Grouping and Ungrouping Nodes#
Groups can be arranged with any type of node in the Flow Area:
- groups with nodes in a row, e.g. as part of the pipeline
- groups with nodes that are parallel to each other, e.g. as part of the pipeline
- groups with nodes from different sources, e.g. as part of different pipelines
To group two ore more nodes, click on the first node, mark all needed other nodes by pressing cmd / ctrl / strg and click on "+ Create Group". The group is created and appears in the Flow Area highlighted.
To ungroup a group node, click on "Ungroup" in the 'Info' tab. The group is ungrouped and all nodes are available in the Flow Area.
Collapsing and Expanding a Group#
To collapse a group node, click on "Collapse" in the 'Info' tab. The group is collapsed now and displayed as a single group node without showing the associated nodes.
To expand a group node, click on "Expand" in the 'Info' tab. The group is expanded. All nodes are visible in a highlighted group area.
Renaming a Group#
To rename a group node, click on the icon next to the group name, enter the new group name and confirm with the checkmark. The group is renamed and displayed in the Flow Area.
Note that the grouping functionality is not working when:
- trying to mark nodes that are not in the same line, e.g. source node and associated deployed node but not the transformation node
- trying to nest groups
- if the group would contain any cycles
- if the group would contain any cycles between groups